Sometimes Thinking Hurts

My thoughts about life, crap and such!

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

~Pasting A Post

PASTING A POST
*
Wow, I feel really bad about neglecting the blogger! It's just that since the fourth Merry Gentry book came out on the 12 (of April), I've been so... immersed in this world again that I just don't have time for anything else, even shelling out the love! Just ask my sister about my addendum about loving her more!
*
Anyhow, since I've been so neglatory (is that even a word? How about neglative- ha ha!) about blogger and have been focusing the majority of my time posting to my group about the book, I figure I can just put on one of my last posts about A Stroke Of Midnight. True it won't make much sense, if any at all, to any one who knows nothing about the books, but oh well, it's my blog and I'll paste my post if I want to... here I go... first though, I'll paste up a description of what these books [1). A Kiss of Shadows 2). A Caress of Twilight 3). Seduced By Moonlight 4). A Stroke of Midnight] are about...
*
Meredith NicEssus, Princess of the Sidhe courts, should have had a dream life. What little girl doesn't dream of being a faerie princess? Unfortunately for Meredith, though she is of royal Sidhe blood, she also has lesser Fey and human blood flowing through her veins. A combination that has left her not only mortal, but weaker than most Fey.
*
Not good enough for the shining Seelie Sidhe, and not powerful enough for the dark Unseelie Sidhe, Merry's life at court is a constant struggle and one long battle. To save her life from the never ending duels and assassination attempts, Merry fled to Los Angeles, hiding her true identity, known to those around her only as Merry Gentry.
*
Three years of hiding unexpectantly comes to an end as Merry is accidentally outed as Princess Meredith while undercover for the detective agency she works for. Once discovered, Merry is asked back home to the Unseelie Court because the Queen, Merry's aunt who once tried to kill her, now wants her alive because Merry could possibly give her something she desperately wants. The only problem is, others at the Unseelie court want Merry dead for the very reason the Queen wants her alive.
*
The Queen has called Merry home to offer her the throne, but there's a catch. She also offered the throne to her evil son Cel, who is among the ones who wants Merry dead. The one who gives Queen Andais an heir first will inherit the throne, so it is a race to get pregnant.
*
Returning to court means she'll have to deal with the duels and assassination attempts all over again. Only this time, Merry has come into her power and has strong allies willing to give their lives to keep her alive, and see her sit on the throne as the new Queen of the Unseelie Sidhe.
*
A Stroke of Midnight
(An answer I wrote to another girl's post)
About the ring choosing its King... that was just a misunderstanding of Doyle's and Frost's. No King has been chosen yet. They had (wrongly) assumed that because of the amount of magic it invoked and the huge events that took place when Merry and Mistral had sex... and his (Mistral's ) being taken with Merry afterward that the ring had chosen him for Merry.
*
I'm almost finished reading it through for my second time and I noticed either a mistake, or just something that hasn't been resolved yet...
*
When they're first talking about Beatrice's body, they say her throat was slit and the fact that she was dead meant that someone had to have enough magical power to take her life, then later on when Polaski was explaining to Merry and her guards, she says that Beatrice was stabbed in the back where her heart was... also when the Queen gets Gwennin to confess to the murders, he says Beatrice's death was an accident.
*
She was supposed to be immortal like the rest of the fey, so how did it go from the suspect having to be someone with alot of magic to simply being an accident? Gwennin said he just meant to hurt her?
*
And about Sholto... why was he at the Sithen when he wasn't supposed to be? And who had he been in a fight with? Who's strong enough to injure the King of the Sluagh? Was it a Sidhe warrior, or a goblin like Kitto suggested or maybe one of Sholto's own sluagh? Curious!
*
And what's up with this whole accusation that Rhys and some of the other men have raped a Seelie woman? That's crazy talk! What is King Taranis trying to pull? Is he trying to strip Merry of her guards before she goes to visit the Seelie Sithen? Accusing Rhys and some others of rape, and Queen Niceven said that maybe Taranis was willing to welcome Galen into the Seelie Sithen? Even more curious, Taranis dislikes the Unseelie, and doesn't care too much for half breeds, so why would he accept half pixie/half Unseelie Galen?
*
One part that really stuck out for me the second time I read it though is something that Merry says (or thinks) about Doyle. It's when they're in the throne room, or getting ready to leave the throne room really and both Frost and Galen have a hold of Merry but she turns around to address Queen Andais once more. Galen and Frost try to pull her, get her moving but she wanted to try and get someone else away from the Queen.
*
Merry notices that Doyle didn't try to stop her and she thinks... "He would give me room to rule."I just loved that. She's finally realizing that Doyle is the best bet for the kind of King she wants at her side! (yea!)
*
But then I also noticed how later on, when Merry, Nicca, Galen and Kitto are in the bathroom (which I thought was an odd sex scene actually) and Nicca and Kitto are saying that the Sidhe and the Fey weren't always monogamous once they were married, that "husbands" were allowed to have more than one "wife", and how husband didn't always mean the man and wife didn't necessarily mean the woman. So I'm guessing either Merry is going to be able to keep both Doyle and Frost once she's pregnant, or she's going to definitely end up with Doyle! (Doyle for King!!)
*
At least that's what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. I just love how she's finally realized that she is in love with Doyle as well as Frost! I loved his breakdown (and Frost's commiserating) when he thought he'd lost her to Mistral... very touching, but makes me chuckle now because of how wrong he was! I also like that Merry's okay with the thought that Galen isn't truly in love with her and will end up with another woman!
*
Okay, that was fun, not only do I love blogging, I love pasting and posting. Here's another of my recent posts to my Princess Merry group.
*
Merry, Merry Quite Contrary
After reading and listening to the book again, I have to say that I'm loving the whole talk that Doyle had with Queen Andais at the end of the book. The whole talk about the rose (which of course they were talking about Merry) and Doyle's threat to Andais.
*
So is that who she and her guards are going to be now? Merry and her Thorns?
*
When Doyle, Merry and Andais were talking about the wild rose, the bramble rose, and Doyle said "This is a rose that makes its own garden wherever it happens to grow.", I kept thinking of the nursery rhyme...
*
"Mary, Mary quite contrary,
how does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
and pretty maids all in a row."
*
Of course it could mean nothing, and have nothing to do with it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it and kept trying to tie in the nursery rhyme with the things they had been talking about, and the things that have been happening in this book, and so I went on the net and came across this site where people were posting about the true meaning behind the rhyme. There were a bunch of different views on what they heard it meant, and I think I found one that can tie the rhyme in with the book, even if it is only on a surface level.
*
One person on the site wrote this... "With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row... All refer to very practical applications. Living in an agricultural area, it is common to see silver streamers of noise makers hung on trees to frighten ravaging birds or animals away. Also, my wife and I have heard that ground cockle shells used to be used as a fertilizer, and pretty maids all in a row were simply her helping hands."
*
So going by this version...
the silver bells refers to Merry's guards who're there to frighten away the ravaging birds, AKA Cel's Cranes,
cockle shells could be refering to Adair and Amatheon, the two agricultural deities Merry had sex with at the same time, which I'm convinced is what's going to help her become more fertile, help her become pregnant,
and pretty maids all in a row could refer to the new females that have come to Merry's aid, her new helping hands... especially Hafwyn with her healing hands.
*
Of course as I said it could mean absolutely nothing, but I just thought it fit with all the talk of Merry being the wild rose who's garden grows without protecting walls or a gardener to tend it. I love how Doyle pointed out that the wild rose is almost impossible to dig out or destroy once it takes root.
*
Okay, that's enough for now! Talking (or pasting) so much about the books makes me want to read or listen to them again, so... A Stroke Of Midnight MP3, here I come...

1 Comments:

  • At 12/30/2007 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Speaking from experience, around these parts, wild roses are referred to as 'fairy roses' with thin, needle sharp thorns and they only flower under exacting conditions. When they do, they smell heavenly, but are near impossible to remove.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home